|The Storm that almost ended the trip.|
|The 16 at the Lee's Ferry Put In|
The group of 16 consisted of 8 first timers in the Canyon including a 6 pack from the Netherlands that made the trip just to be a part of it. A handful with previous experience and a few with 5 or 6 self support trips in the bag.
Standard operating procedure is that you arrive at the Put In the day before launch for inspection from the Rangers, then camp there, and go through orientation the morning of your launch. Then push off. There are just a hand full of rapids in the first days section and a very cool eddie to catch at Tanner's Wash. At mile 17 we arrive at House Rock Rapid and our first camp.
|Below House Rock Rapid|
|House Rock Rapid Camp|
10 things you do just about every day on a self support Grand Canyon trip.
1. Wake up before dawn because you failed number 10.
2. Pack up some of the things in your tent including something you need later that day.
3. Make some coffee and breakfast.
4. Pack up your tent and kitchen.
5. Use the Groover.
6. Pack your boat and try not to be last off the beach.
7. Run whitewater rapids. "Hey diddle diddle, right down the middle" are the only directions you need. You might want to paddle a little left or right at some point.
8. Get to camp and set up.
9. Go for a hike.
10. Cook, try to stay up until 9pm, and fail.
|My Kitchen for the next 12 Days|
Here are all the Photos from Day 1.